Monday, June 2, 2014

big celebration

upper and lower lakes
on sunday morning
i picked rich up at 6.
i was early. 
he was earlier.
just before we turned into the spot
five sandhill cranes flew over.
new to me.
exquisite, he said they're likely here now
they've been moving east.
 we took an easy hike out
to the observation tower
past a termite mound
and early morning birds and mosquitoes everywhere,
rich set up the scope and proceeded to teach me all about the birds
who have familiar voices 
and flicks of colors
but he taught me to see more
 he carted in binoculars, scope and camera.
i had my little red canon.
 a beaver dam
around this were nesting loons 
and some big fish, eating
and occasionally slapping on the surface
showing off fins.
 the loons were calling 
their great calls
paired up 
and one on a nest
 a sundog danced
a blessing on our time together.
 abundance
 abundance
 rich is as close to a brother as i will ever have.
a nephew, seven years younger.
and has, 
i am amazed to say
my father's hands.
 on our walk back to the car,
the light having changed many times,
settling into day,
the termite mound had become someone's
breakfast.
 later, we celebrated my sister's 70th birthday!
my sister is rich's mom.
another sister made the trek
from florida to the north country.
all to celebrate this special day.
 there we were,
friends,
 relatives.
as close to a brother as i will ever have
someone who knows the earth 
a bit differently than me,
nevertheless, my friend,
giving me the gift of seeing tiny birds close and quiet and 
amazing.
thank you.
and 
happy birthday, claudia!
~~~
it rained a couple of days back 
in the sunshine the raindrops were diamonds 
and a dragonfly lit on my
broken screen
riding out the storm.
so many dragonflies this spring!
~~~
emily martin's fun mail art project
mine is at the bottom, fourth column, 
my purple shifu postcard.
~~~
the black squirrel has found a friend
there were shenanigans at the base of
grandmother maple.
(the black is actually a gray squirrel.)
there may be more
soon.

13 comments:

  1. it seems
    every time i travel stateside
    squirrels are less and less
    to be seen

    ReplyDelete
  2. india, that's because they're all at my place. i see more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a very special, peaceful place. happy birthday, Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jean, you must come east! post birthday celebrations continue...quietly. she is a magnificent sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that black squirrel. A friend had a sandhill crane in her hayfield last summer, we thought it was odd, I'll tell her they're moving east. Sounds like a great time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. valerie, this was very special...and those darn squirrels are so cute, they play and play and fortunately the grays don't want to live indoors with me. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. V- a day filled with the beauty and fullness of nature and all the more beautiful when shared with a passionate friend. Thanks for sharing your day. B

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart is full….family, nature, LOVE……being from the north……I feel the moisture and know the squirrels for sure! Thank you for sharing this time with your family. ox

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah, it was, indeed, m. an amazing celebration, and i was lucky enough to have this extra time out in the wetland with my nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely hands
    Happy Birthday to your sister. Got me hoping imagining my sisters gathering too.

    A wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have enjoyed that day at the lakes too.Lovely to hear the loons calling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. robyn, a day of sunlight, all twinkling. oh, and a few mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *