Sunday, October 26, 2014

harvest

 the honorable harvest has been much on my mind
 and this weekend i found myself marveling
over these seedheads
black eyed susans
lots of seeds to feed this little one,
and i almost missed it.
  old/new tub spent two years outdoors and has ecoprints
it's actually quite clean and shiny.
 around here you can be looking for stuff
 just walking
and you catch a cliff 
out of the corner of your eye
like this one.
i once watched a young man, sam,
spider himself up a far higher cliff.
i was in "charge" of him.
thankfully his skill
was exquisite,
as he crowned that cliff
waved hi to me.
 i've found a very intimate field
on my way home form work.
an amish place, 
small fields.
you know how when you ride a horse, 
or drive a team
or hike often
over a field
how well you get to know it?
i love that.
i was taking this sneaky photo
and then moved forward, 
and there was a young amish man, watching me, intently,
as i watch his corn ladies!

10 comments:

  1. Lovely autumnal images -- especially the hay 'ladies' standing along that fence...and the sweet bird so tiny I had to look twice to see him in the photo. May I save the Hay Ladies? It may inspire a piece...Thanks in advance,

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see an Amish man, but I DO see a cow. And, lovely to see the corn ladies appear again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i ALWAYS think of you when i walk here (towards north korea! i'd go the other way but was warned about two mean, unleashed dogs that bite) b/c of exactly how well you learn to know and love where you are. i think about how i wish i knew my place that well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. margaret, glad to inspire!
    valerie, i don't try to be intrusive and photograph them , but the cows and the ladies got several frames
    aimee, how sweet, and DO stay away from the mean dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is such a softness in these words and this walk, and I love the notion of the honourable harvest - it has me pondering...

    ReplyDelete
  6. fiona, honorable harvest: it's rich, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you (or we) share your walks, I get to see a part of the country I've never been to...and I appreciate that so much. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nancy, it's wonderful to see the vast differences here in the us...and thanks for letting me know that!

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *